It’s not just about flour, water and yeast. Some bread machine recipes call for the addition of robust ingredients. Here are three hearty breads that will make your bread machine proud!
We’re going to cover three hearty breads in this article. We’re defining “hearty” as the addition of an ingredient that is beyond flour. Flour, by its nature, is a dust that results from the grinding of something from grains to roots to nuts. When we add ingredients that are not ground traditionally or at all we find a “hearty” addition to both the taste and the texture of the loaf.
Some of these recipes go from start to finish in the bread machine, one uses the dough cycle and is finished in the oven. We’re going to cover Potato Bread, Rice Bread and Egg Bread. All are fairly simple to make in the bread machine, but each requires a bit of prep to properly incorporate the hearty ingredients.
Potato Rosemary Bread Machine Recipe:
(Makes a 1.5 pound loaf)
Potato bread can either be made with real mashed potatoes or with instant mashed potato flakes. This bread was traditionally made to add a hearty starch ingredient to the flour, and was also made to help supplement dwindling stores of flour in the spring.
The rosemary is optional on the off-chance that you don’t like rosemary. You can add any other herb in the proportions indicated, or skip them altogether. You probably won’t discern a distinctive potato flavor, but you will notice a denser texture and consistency and a bit of a “chew” in the bread especially in the crust.
- 1 ¼ cups of water (110º F./ 43º C.)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter softened at room temperature
- ½ cup of mashed potatoes or ½ cup of instant potato flakes
- 3 cups of bread flour
- 2 tablespoons of dried rosemary leaves, crumbled plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 2 teaspoons of bread machine yeast
- Add the ingredients to the bread pan in the order indicated. If you’re using real mashed potatoes, stir them around in the water to make a slurry. If you’re using instant mashed potato flakes simply add them to the pan. Once all of the ingredients are in place select the white or basic bread course for a 1.5 pound loaf and dark crust. The dark crust enhances the “chew” or “bite” of the bread that marks the distinct nature of potato bread.
- When done, cool for 10 minutes out of the bread pan and slice and serve. This is a great bread to serve as an accompaniment to soup or a stew and makes for great sandwiches with robust toppings like beef or pork. You could also select the dough cycle and form them into bun shapes for the perfect ham burger bun.
Egg Bread Recipe:
(Makes a 2 pound loaf)
There are many variations on egg bread. Some cultures like the Greeks incorporate whole eggs in the shell into the loaf at Easter, while some Eastern European traditions embedded one egg in the loaf at New Year’s. The person who got the egg was considered a guest of honor and would have good luck for the rest of the year.
This recipe is a bit simpler with cracked eggs added as an ingredient in various forms from yolks only to yolks and whites, and an egg yolk glaze to finish the loaf. This recipe is going to go through the dough cycle in the bread machine and then we’ll finish the loaf in the oven. We’re also going to do a basic double braid, but nothing as complicated as the multiple braids of a Challah bread.
- 2/3 cup of water at (110° F./ 43º C.)
- 6 egg yolks at room temperature
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of oil
- 4 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 egg for glazing whisked into 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of bread machine yeast
- Add the ingredients to the bread pan in the order indicated and select the dough setting. When the dough cycle Is complete place the dough onto a baking sheet and let rise for 30 to 45 minutes. Divide the dough in half and roll by hand on a flowered counter top to create two long logs of dough about 12 to 16 inches long. Fold the dough logs over each other in a simple braid and let rise another 20 minutes on a buttered baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375º F./ 190º C. Glaze the braided loaf with the egg wash of 1 egg whisked into 1 tablespoon of water and bake for 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Let rest on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, slice and serve.
- Egg breads are associated with a wide assortment of holidays across religions and cultures. It’s a dramatic presentation and can make an everyday meal feel special. If you’ve never tried a hearty additional ingredient for your regular bread recipes, give one of these try. It could become a part of your regular bread baking routine.
Rice Bread Recipe
While many gluten free breads are made with rice flour, this is not a gluten free bread. In fact it does not use rice flour but cooked rice either white, wild or brown as an added ingredient. Here again the added ingredient of the rice added a hearty ingredient to give more body and texture to the bread, and helped extend the amount of flour needed when flour supplies were limited.
The critical success facto for this recipe is cooking the rice before adding it to the other ingredient in the bread pan. Dry, uncooked rice will never find enough moisture and will leave you with hard, chewy nuggets of rice in every bite. If you like that, try it but prefer bread with a consistent texture and mouth feel.
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110° F./ 43º C.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of bread machine yeast
- To make a ½ cup of cooked rice add ½ cup of rice to 1 cup of boiling water, cover and simmer until rice is done. Add ingredients to the bread pan in the order indicated. Stir the cooked rice into the water/salt/sugar mixture to make a slurry before adding the flour and topping with the yeast. Select the white or basic bread course for a 2 pound loaf and medium crust. When done, let rest for 10 minutes and slice and serve.
- Rice bread is often served with gravy-rich main courses or dipped into soups or stews.
- KBS Pro Bread Maker Machine - April 12, 2020
- Zojirushi BB-PDC20 Bread Maker Machine - April 7, 2020
- 2020’s Top 10 Bread Machine Accessories Worth Having - April 5, 2020